Deferred Compensation

Deferred Compensation (457 Plan)


Deferred Compensation is a savings and investment plan for your retirement. The Vermont State Retirement System oversees the investment options and established the plan. All contributions can be made on a pre-tax or after tax basis depending upon the accounts you elect.


Participation in the Deferred Compensation plan is voluntary. You determine how much you wish to contribute to the plan, that amount is then deducted from your paycheck and transferred directly to your Deferred Compensation account. 


The Deferred Compensation plan is available to all state employees and to employees of other public agencies such as municipalities, school districts, boards, and commissions if the public agency has elected to offer it. Initial enrollment forms must be completed and submitted to Great West Retirement Services in order for the State to start your elected deductions. If interested in starting a Deferred Compensation plan, please see the below information to contact Great West Retirement Services directly to start enrollment. For changes to an existing Deferred Compensation Deduction, an election/change form can be found under Forms & Documents.


Empower Retirement
100 State Street, Suite 334
Montpelier, VT 05602
(800) 457-1028 (toll-free)
(802) 229-2391
(802) 229-2637 (fax)


Employee Benefits
(802) 828-6700
 Press 1 for HR and then 3 for Benefits

Forms & Documents

Deferred Compensation Form 

Contact Information

Office of the Defender General
6 Baldwin Street, 4th Floor
Montpelier, VT  05633-3301
(802) 828-3168
(802) 828-3163 (fax)

Click here for Vermont's Public Records Database or the ODG Public Request Officer.